select lockup

Tom Tom
Thu Nov 9 04:55:31 AEST 1989

	I have noticed when using select for our application, that if you
pass select a file descriptor for a device which has lost it's carrier,
your process will sit inside of select chewing up 99% of the time. The one
exception to this seems to be that if you set the CLOCAL option for the
port the problem is avoided alltogether.
	I could not find any good information on CLOCAL or select as
pertains to devices. Is there a problem with select or was this just not
documented well enough?
	The machine I discovered this on was the Motorola Deta VME. It
showed up on both the 147 and 332xt cards.

	Any information on select or CLOCAL would be greatly appreciated.
Please send mail to mcdchg!tt8!tomd
					Thank You
						EMTAE