How do you copy multiple dump tapes to one dump file?

Scott Simpson simpson at trwind.UUCP
Tue Nov 28 05:48:47 AEST 1989

Sun OS 3.4, Sun 3/280, Exabyte is /dev/rsmt0 and /dev/nrsmt0

I am trying to copy a set of dump tapes in dump format from a magtape
drive to an Exabyte.  The magtape dump tapes consist of three tapes
consisting of one file system.  I want to dump all three tapes to one
file on the Exabyte.  I can't use dd because it would cease after the first
tape.  Would the following work:

	% dd if=/dev/rmt8 of=/dev/nrsmt0 bs=10k
	% mt -t /dev/nrsmt0 bsr
	% dd if=/dev/rmt8 of=/dev/nrsmt0 bs=10k
	% mt -t /dev/nrsmt0 bsr
	% dd if=/dev/rmt8 of=/dev/nrsmt0 bs=10k

That is, are the files on the multiple dump tapes simply contiguous and
will backspacing one record back space past the end of tape mark?

Please reply to me directly. I don't normally read this newsgroup.
--
	Scott Simpson
	TRW Space and Defense Sector