Signals on Sys V

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Thu Nov 16 11:22:16 AEST 1989

In article <40629 at wlbr.IMSD.CONTEL.COM> sms at WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM.UUCP (Steven M. Schultz) writes:
>In article <DOUGM.89Nov14135134 at queso.ico.isc.com> dougm at queso.ico.isc.com (Doug McCallum) writes:
>>Its also too bad that the "sighold()" and "sigrelse()" calls only take
>>a signal number and not a mask as with the BSD equivalents.
>	It does seem strange that the 2.8/2.9BSD libjobs functionality
>	from 1983/4 was implemented rather than the 4.2/3BSD signal
>	semantics.  So System V has finally caught up with 2.9BSD,
>	congrats ;-)

That's a rather pointless posting.  If you check out the time frame
for the SVR3 implementation, it would come as no surprise that the
4.1BSD semantics were used as the base model.  Meanwhile, SVR4.0 has
come out with full POSIX (IEEE 1003.1) semantics, which goes beyond
4.3BSD.  I won't go into the history of the POSIX spec and why it
differed from 4.2BSD, but there would valid reasons (I was there).