Pronunciations

Jerry Gardner jerry at altos86.Altos.COM
Tue Nov 21 08:04:17 AEST 1989

In article <21489 at adm.BRL.MIL> AGRISCS at umcvmb.missouri.edu (Don Ingli) writes:

}  REMEMBER: most of the worlds best programmers are also kinda lazy as in
}            pronunciations.  Also take a look at unix  LS  why not LIST,
}            PR  why not PRINT,  LP  why not LINEPRINT???  It seems to me
}            that the computing world wants quick and easy commands and the
}            computing world wants quick and easy pronunciations.
}

The first UNIX systems used 110 buad mechanical teletypes as input devices.
This is the real reason why UNIX commands are typically short.  Would you
want to type "lineprint" on one of those beasts when you could type "lp"?

--
Jerry Gardner, NJ6A					Altos Computer Systems
UUCP: {sun|pyramid|sco|amdahl|uunet}!altos86!jerry	2641 Orchard Parkway