skeleton sys.login and sys.cshrc

Mark A Gebert geeb at caen.engin.umich.edu
Fri Nov 10 01:10:00 AEST 1989

This is a 3 part question:

1) How far should a system administrator go in setting up a users enviroment? Should is include "neat"
things? What belongs in the sys.login besides a tset? What belongs in a sys.cshrc? (I know what the bsd
manuals say but I want to hear your idea's).

2) Should there exist sys.profile's for ksh and sh? (Since there is growing user demand for them) What
about a tcsh? Does anyone have this set up?

3) By now your thinking I'm a little loony or stupid. But this has been part of a debate at U of M over
the last month. But now for a real question:

We have a diverse base of computers here (Sun's, Dec's and Apollo's). And users rlogin from one
architecture to another frequently. Here's the problem: when a user logs in the following tset is used.

       eval `/usr/ucb/tset -s -Q -m "dialup:${TERM_DIALUP}" -m "unknown:?${TERM_NETWORK}"
             -m "network:?${TERM_NETWORK}"`

This works nice and dandy on the first machine the user logs into. But rlogging in another machine and
doing this tset causes vt100 mode to be locked into an 80x24 screen size rather than using the real
size of the window. But doing the following tset.

                                  eval `tset -Q -I -s`

The remote host recognizes the screen size no prob. But dialing in from home or using an IBM PS/2 or XT
causes the term variable to be undefined. Question: Is there anyway to determine if it is the users
inital login to the network and do tset #1. Then on every subsequent rlogin from the inital login
tset #2 is used. Or is there a bizarre combination of options in tset that would solve this prob?

Thanx. And no flames (please!!). I wouldn't have posted but I've tried alot of different things that
haven't worked.

--geeb