TTY, speak now, or forever

Peter Hkansson peter at vd.volvo.se
Fri Nov 10 06:32:28 AEST 1989

In article <1093 at toro.UUCP> nick at toro.UUCP (Nicholas Jacobs) writes:
>What about having the ability to indicate perhaps via the getty invocation
>in the /etc/inittab a table of characters to use for I/O (essentially an
>equivalence table of sorts). Although this wouldn't handle the problems with
>JIS codes and such, perhaps it could make some of the issues with just
>the American and European versions of ASCII easier to deal with?
> ** stuff deleted **
Yes folks this is done by IBM in the AIX for the RT. Its made by
defining one mapping for incoming characters and one for outgoing ones.
This is enabled on a port by port basis where the mappings are plain
textfiles with 256 lines and two columns.
This simple mecanism enables terminals to be intermixed and still use the
same (internal) representation of 8 bit character sets.
Of cource it does not handle 16 bit characters and it does increase the
You could wish terminal maker to do this too ..(Texas did in thier 745
remember ??)