using named pipes

Brian Ellis bri at boulder.Colorado.EDU
Fri Nov 17 16:09:33 AEST 1989

	Here is the problem: I need a named pipe that I can read from
	or write to. A server program should monitor the pipe and
	read/write it if a client write/reads it. The problem is that
	select() doesn't work on named pipes (at least under Wisconson
	NFS unix). How can the server tell whether to read or write it?
	I've tried a *lot* of things - non blocking i/o, signals, a
	terribly cpu intensive open-for-read--close--open-for-write method.
	Any ideas?

	-brian ellis (bri at boulder.Colorado.EDU)