ftw (was Re: Anything faster than stat(S)? ...)

David J. MacKenzie djm at eng.umd.edu
Fri Nov 24 06:56:29 AEST 1989

In article <11676 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <1989Nov21.070322.6352 at dragos.uucp> ruiu at dragos.UUCP (dragos) writes:
>>Speaking of which, does anyone have any knowledge of the status of FTW ?
>>I've been tempted to try reverse engineering the routines from the Usenix
>>paper for my "quaint" SysV.2 system.
>
>I was going to do that and place it in the public domain, only to find
>out that IEEE 1003 has been working on specs for a similar but
>different facility.  I decided to wait for the dust to settle.

Rich Salz has already written a PD version of FTW, and posted it:

From: rsalz at pebbles.bbn.com
Newsgroups: comp.sources.misc
Subject: scandir, ftw REDUX
Date: 1 Jan 88 00:47:01 GMT
Sender: allbery at ncoast.UUCP

Forget my previous message -- I just decided for completeness's sake to
implement the SysV ftw(3) routine, too.

To repeat, these are public-domain implementations of the SystemV ftw()
routine, the BSD scandir() and alphasort() routines, and documentation for
same.  The FTW manpage could be more readable, but so it goes.

Anyhow, feel free to post these, and incorporate them into your existing
packages.  I have readdir() routiens for MSDOS and the Amiga if anyone
wants them, and should have them for VMS by the end of January; let me
know if you want copies.

Yours in filesystems,
	/r$

Anyhow, feel free to post