Why isn't argv[argc]==(char *)0 ?

Christoph Kuenkel ckl at uwbln.UUCP
Wed Nov 29 23:21:45 AEST 1989

In article <497 at mwtech.UUCP>, martin at mwtech.UUCP (Martin Weitzel) writes:
> My personal opinion is, that the SVID just did forget to mention.
> [...]
I agree totally although i wonder why they purged the sentence in
question which was present in the old manual pages.  The problem is,
that some implementors will read the specs and implement what is
written there.  You as a software developer will have a hard time
argueing ``well, but look, your implementation doesnt make sense'' when
your program dumps core and the words are against you :-(

> Last and final: From the very beginning SVID stated, they will strongly
> consider full conformance to X3J11 - and X3J11 has no doubt about that
> argv[argc] is a null pointer.
You should send a gripe to at&t :-)
I dont have my XPG3 at hand, but i bet its the same wording there!

christoph
--
# include <std/disclaimer.h>
Christoph Kuenkel/UniWare GmbH       Kantstr. 152, 1000 Berlin 12, West Germany