Pronunciations (was: And how do you pronounce "csh"?)

Brandon S. Allbery allbery at NCoast.ORG
Thu Oct 26 09:51:48 AEST 1989

As quoted from <440 at nixba.UUCP> by mike at nixba.UUCP (Mike Lyons):
+---------------
| 		sed = ess - e - dee
| 		ed  = e - dee
| 		awk = a - w - k
| 		ioctl = i - o control
| 		fcntl = f - control
| 		strrchr = stir - recker
| 		tty  =  t - t - y
| 		uucico = you - you - kee - ko
| 		HUPCL = hoop - sell
| 		mkdir = m - k - dir
| 		mknod = m - k - node
| 		pg  = p - g
+---------------

I pronounce sed, ed, and awk as written (sehd, ehd, awww-k).
ioctl, fcntl, tty: agree.
strrchr:  stir-R-char
uucico: "you-you-see-EYE-see-oh" (accent on the I ;-)
HUPCL: "huhp-see-ell"
mkdir: "make-dihr", mknod: "make-node"
pg: "page"

For the curious:  I don't pronounce the shell names, I just say "Bourne shell",
"C shell", "Korn shell" as appropriate.  vsh I call "visual shell", unless
it's Microsoft's vsh, which I pronounce "trash" ;-)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery:  allbery at NCoast.ORG, BALLBERY (MCI Mail), ALLBERY (Delphi)
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery ncoast!allbery at hal.cwru.edu bsa at telotech.uucp