Possible bug in SunOS System V echo?

Tom Frauenhofer tvf at cci632.UUCP
Mon Apr 9 23:22:16 AEST 1990

In article <12545 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:

>... deleted stuff relating to the imcompatability of System V versus
>Berkeley echo

>variants.  Some time ago I proposed a transition plan, whereby the
>Berkeley variant of "echo" would accept -e for System V-style escape
>interpretation (as in 9th Ed. UNIX), the System V variant would accept
>"-e" but do nothing new, System V shell scripts would be searched for

>... some more arguments deleted

I have a better idea - why not just build an echo that understands all the
Berkeley and System V stuff?  I don't like the idea of adding another switch
to a widely used program that puts you into "System V mode" or some such.
It becomes too tempting to do the same thing to all the other incompatible
commands.
--
Thomas V. Frauenhofer	...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!swamps!!frau!tvf *or*
...!uunet!atexnet!kodak!swamps!frau!tvf (tvf at frau, tvf at cci632)