Automatic login script execution

Jeff Beadles jeff at quark.WV.TEK.COM
Thu Apr 12 00:15:28 AEST 1990

apippin at polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Pinhead at Spikes) incorrectly states:

>Add then schriste at uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) babbles...
>>Can anyone point me to a login.c replacement which causes a global
>>.login file to be executed first? I assume I would place a "source ~/.login"
>>as the last line of this global file.

>	I agree that the message of the day should suffice.  If you
>	really want to force this...

>	Put a file ~/.login with owner root and mode 644.  The last
>	line should source ~/.userlogin, if it exists.

Bleep.  Wrong answer.  If the user owns h{is,er} home directory, they could
easily do away with the ~/.login, regardless of the permissions.
If you can't figure out how, then see comp.unix.questions.  It's not a wizard
level question . :-)

Also, some versions of csh do NOT source ~/.{login,cshrc} unless it's owned
by the user spawning the shell.

Adding the functionality to csh to "source" a /etc/login is trivial.  I don't
know why it hasn't been added as /etc/profile has been to /bin/sh.
	-Jeff
--
Jeff Beadles				jeff at quark.WV.TEK.COM
Utek Engineering, Tektronix Inc.	+1 503 685 2568