Future of binary compatibility for unix?

Jesse W. Asher jessea at dynasys.UUCP
Thu Apr 12 04:55:08 AEST 1990

	I have a questions that falls in many categories, so forgive the
multiple posting.  I have heard that version 4.0 of unix is supposed to
be binary compatible within processor families.  My questions are these:

1)  What kind of limitations do you run into within processor families?

2)  I heard rumors that people were working on making unix completely
    binary compatible between all platforms.  Is this true, and if so,
    how is this possible?  How will it be implemented?  How can such
    a scheme be implemented over such a wide range of architectures?
    It seems that such a project would be impossible to accomplish.

3)  What does the future hold in the way of binary compatibility for unix?
    I think this would be an important step and I'm curious as to how far
    it will be taken.

Thanx in advance.

--
Jesse W. Asher - Dynasys - (901)382-1705     Evening: (901)382-1609
6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134