Possible bug in SunOS System V echo?

Tom Frauenhofer tvf at cci632.UUCP
Fri Apr 13 06:15:54 AEST 1990

In article <12561 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <35818 at cci632.UUCP> tvf at cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) writes:
>>I have a better idea - why not just build an echo that understands all the
>>Berkeley and System V stuff?
>
>Because the behaviors are incompatible!  How should
>	echo 'foo\n'
>work?  You get different answers from BSD and SysV variants of "echo".

I'll give you that point, but I still feel that a transition "echo" will add
to the confusion.

I'll refine my point - Why not just build an echo that supports as many of
both the System V and Berkeley features as possible?  Where there are
conflicts (such as noted above), let's get some "Smart Group of People" (a
UNIX standards committee? :-) ) choose one (going into real dangerous ground
here: strikes me that the biggest pain with the two echos is the '-n' versus
'\c' problem, and as other people have noted, echos have been implemented
that support both).
--
Thomas V. Frauenhofer	...!rutgers!rochester!kodak!swamps!!frau!tvf *or*
...!uunet!atexnet!kodak!swamps!frau!tvf (tvf at frau, tvf at cci632)