What do I do wrong?

Kartik Subbarao subbarao at phoenix.Princeton.EDU
Thu Dec 13 14:32:31 AEST 1990

In article <1990Dec13.023035.19793 at IRO.UMontreal.CA> quennevi at IRO.UMontreal.CA (Charles Quenneville) writes:
>Hello!

Hi! Say, didnt you crosspost the article before this before? I thought we
went over that....

>Could you tell me what is wrong with this program? All I'm trying to do
>is simply to print the username.

>#include <pwd.h>
>#include <stdio.h>

Ah. I see you're going to use the right routines at least.

>main ()
> {
>  struct passwd *pwd;
>  struct passwd *getpwent();
>
>  setpwent("/etc/passwd");
   /* setpwent() doesn't take any arguments.
    * And if you were going to use fsetpwent() -- this is the default unless
    * you're using yellow pages and for some reason only want to search
    * "/etc/passwd".
    */

>  while ((pwd = getpwent()) != 0)
>   {
>    printf("\n", pwd->pw_name);
     /* err..... all this does is print newlines. Shouldn't there be a
      * %s somewhere ? Or better yet, replace the printf() with puts().
      */
>    fflush(stdout);
      /* Another needless thing */
>   }
>  endpwent("/etc/passwd");
   /* likewise needless -- endpwent() takes no arguments either btw. */
> }

This is all you need:

# include <stdio.h>
# include <pwd.h>
main() { struct passwd *pwd; while (pwd = getpwent()) puts(pw->pw_name); }
/* a one liner, minus includes :-) */

>    Charles Quenneville
>    quennevi at kovic.iro.umontreal.ca
>
>"Ventrebleu, de par ma chandelle verte, j'aime mieux etre gueux"

Don't know what this means, but:

"Shouldn't you read man pages and check code before you post it to the net?" */

			-Kartik

--
(I need a new .signature -- any suggestions?)
subbarao@{phoenix or gauguin}.Princeton.EDU -|Internet