Interrupted library calls

Paul Breslaw paul at mecazh.UUCP
Wed Jan 17 04:36:33 AEST 1990

This problem cropped up in the context of Xlib, but could equally apply to
any Unix library. Hence the posting to more than one group.

Our application (a CAM package on HP9000/3xx machines under HP-UX6.5 X11.R2)
crashes sometimes when we handle a signal and return from
the signal handler in a different context from the one in which the handler
was entered. In other words we do a longjmp(3) from inside the handler.

We found that this is an elegant way to design certain features into a program.

[ Those of you who might want to argue this assertion read on. Those
  who are prepared to accept it can skip to the end of this []'ed bit.

  Our CAM package is a monolithic application running as a single
  process. Until Open Look or Motif is declared winner of the current
  X Look and Feel War, our application remains implemented using no tool
  kit, ie only pure Xlib calls.

  A user of our package can start a computation/display operation
  that might take a long time to complete. We wanted to allow him to
  hit a key to stop it, which would take him back to an earlier point
  in the dialogue.

  There are a large number of such long operations, so we needed a
  fairly general mechanism.

  We did not want to sprinkle calls to X arbitrarily in the code
  in the hope that they would provide a frequent enough poll.

  Neither did we want a signal handler to set a global flag and return
  normally, because that is simply the same polling problem in a different
  guise. You then have to sprinkle calls to check the global flag in the
  hope ... etc etc.

  So we had to have a signal handler to implement the required
  asynchronousness, and it had to exit abnormally to achieve its end.
]

It is all the same, a pretty dangerous thing to do.

This is especially so if the signal is allowed to interrupt any old bit of
code that might be updating some data structure that is subsequently needed.
And this, of course, is what happened when certain Xlib routines were
interrupted.

Now good old BSD and friends (like Ultrix and HP-UX) offer a number of
means for dealing with the problem.

1. Interrupted system calls can be identified, and restarted when (if) the
   signal handler returns normally.

2. The application can be defensively programmed so that system calls which
   can be interrupted or partially completed are correctly handled.

3. Critical regions can be created with sigblock(2) and sigsetmask(2) providing
   DISABLE and ENABLE capabilities.

Clearly 1 and 2 are fine for system calls, but useless for libraries.

That leaves 3 - but whose responsibility is it to defend the data in the
library - the implementor or the user?

I suppose someone out there will cry `caveat emptor', but there are
literally hundreds of X calls. How do I know which ones are critical and
which ones not? If I bracket all the ones I use, I will end up with
ugly code that runs slowly (remember it's two system calls per X call).

Clearly this is a general problem, but I do not recall seeing anything
about it on the net.

Advice welcomed.

Paul Breslaw.