GNU Emacs, memory usage, releasing

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Fri Jan 5 23:31:07 AEST 1990

> The scheme that was used is called paged buffer gap and it is briefly
> mentioned on page 36 of the thesis.  The basic idea is that a file is
> represented as an array of pages.  Each ~1K page is a separate buffer
> gap system.

That's another technique. With such small buffers, though, you'll lose
some on bigger systems. And of course Craig goes on to note...

> I contend that in a "modern workstation environment" (e.g., Sun 3/60),
> a simple buffer gap method is preferred over both paged buffer gap and
> linked line.  I leave it as an excercise for the reader to figure out
> why.

I'm not sure this is a valid conclusion. If 75K is the optimal file size
for a buffer-gap solution, how about paged buffer-gap with 75K pages? Or
to add a bit of compromise with some of today's brain-dead architectures
perhaps 64K pages would work nearly as well.

And how does buffer-gap compare with buffer-splitting? You can think of it
as a buffer-gap where you don't always need to fill in the gap when you move
the insertion point.
--
 _--_|\  Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter at ficc.uu.net>.
/      \ Also <peter at ficc.lonestar.org> or <peter at sugar.lonestar.org>