Termid (was: Re: Login (unique) problems with terminal emulations.)

Fariborz "Skip" Tavakkolian fst at gtenmc.UUCP
Fri Jan 5 20:18:52 AEST 1990

In article <1075 at maxim.erbe.se> prc at erbe.se (Robert Claeson) writes:
>In article <266 at zircon.UUCP>, davidb at Pacer.UUCP (David Barts) writes:
>> This is a neat trick, basically what SET TERMINAL/INQUIRE does on
>> VAX/VMS.
[delete]
>In fact, there are even a couple of VTxxx- compatible terminals and
>PC-based emulators that hangs when they see the <ESC> Z or the other
[deleted]
>--
>          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson at erbe.se

I have always used the following with almost all ANSI terminals I have
worked with:

1) Set the ``answer-back'' string to your terminal type followed by
   RETURN (i.e. 4424<RETURN> or <ESC>vt100<RETURN><ESC>, etc.)

2) Then inquire about the term type by sending '^E' or '\005' to the
   terminal. This causes the term to return the ``answer-back'' string.
   i.e.

    echo "Enter term type: \005\c" ; read TERM

This has worked on AT&T 442X, 542X, DEC vt1XX and compatibles.

Hope this helps.
Skip