more nroff help needed

Jim Harkins jharkins at sagpd1.UUCP
Wed Jan 10 12:44:39 AEST 1990

Hi, I was asking a few days ago about moving page numbers from the top of the
page to the bottom in nroff.  I got it working, thanks to those who responded.
I've now got a new problem.  I want to imbed my source into my document
(remember, this is the military.  If it makes sense we can't do it).  I
started out with .nf, .na, and .cs commands to keep it from munging my text.
No go.  There are 2 general problems.  First, lines that start with an asterisk
or a slash get joined to the preceeding line.  For example:

.nf
.na
.cs
/*-------*/
/*  data dictionary entry for fred.
/*  They don't really look like this, this is an example
fred (data flow) =
*
    Type:     something
*
    0x24

Becomes

/*------*/ /*  data dictionary entry for fred. /*  They don't really look
like this, this is an example
fred (data flow) = *
    Type:   something*
    0x24.

(The *s are comment delimiters).  I tried using \(** and \(sl instead of stars
and slashes and it made no difference.

Second, the source is in 80 column line format and I'm having trouble  getting
them to stay that way.  I've been adjusting the page offset and line length
(.nr PO x.y,  .po x.y,  .nr LL z, .ll z) with no luck.  For example, assuming
20 column lines:

00000000011111111112
12345678901234567890
   mary had a little
       lamb it's fle

Becomes something like

0000
0000011111111112
123456789
01234567890
   mary had a litt
le
lamb it's fle

As far as I can tell there is no ryme or reason as to where and why it breaks
lines and whether or not it will honor the indenting in the source file.
So what am I doing wrong?

To summarize, I basically have a file of about 70 pages that I want printed
as is in my document.  All I want done is for each page to have the same
headers/footers as the rest of the document.  I'm trying to do it like:

.nr PO x.y
.nr LL x
.po x.y
.ll x
.nf
.na
.cs             (by the way, how do I undo this command?)
.so src/foo     ( file 1 )
.bp
.so src/bar     ( file 2 )
.bp
.so src/blatz   ( file 3 )
.fi
.ad

I'm using the ms macro package.  Please respond by email.  Thanks in advance.

jim
jharkins at sagpd1

"Only dead fish go with the flow"