Quattro SB2422 and UUCP

Derek Mulcahy derek at advsys.UUCP
Tue Jan 16 00:02:02 AEST 1990

We have a number of customer sites with Dowty Quattro SB2422 modems.

They are all connected to Sun's.  We use uucp for mail and file transfer.
Most of the time uucp works just fine.  Sometimes it manages to login but when
it starts the uucp transfer it just gives up.

If I use uupoll -x9 the debug is as follows

	wanted gin: \015\012landplan login:got that
	send Uadvent
	wanted word:  Uadvent\015\012Password:got that
	send foobar
	imsg >\215\ 12\ 20<
	Shere\  0imsg >\ 27\

At this point it just hangs.

The file /usr/lib/uucp/LOGFILE contains the message.

	uucp landpla (1/15-12:45-10802) SUCCEEDED (call to landpla )

but nothing else.

I don't have a set procedure for recovering from this situation.  I normally
power the modems down and try again.  As our customers are all at least
400 miles away this is painful.  I am suspicious of the auto baud rate, auto
parity selection used by the Quattro.  Any comments would be appreciated.

Why is "communications" a four letter word ?

	Derek Mulcahy.