slip

George Kyriazis kyriazis at ptolemy0.rdrc.rpi.edu
Mon Jan 8 17:03:33 AEST 1990

In article <15 at tcistl2.UUCP> sccm at tcistl2.UUCP (Mason) writes:
>I have an associate seeking any information, advise, warnings, etc.
>regarding the use of SLIP between two Suns over a leased line.  He
>needs the ability to transfer files, remotely login, and send mail.
>
>Post or e-mail, as you wish...Thanks in advance.
>
>Stephen Comfort-Mason

I have used slip on a sun-2 connected to a terminal server that
was kind enough to support slip.  I used it in both 2400 and 9600 baud.

Remote login did not have tolerable response time with the 2400 baud line,
and it was ok with 9600.  Ftp is pretty good..  If I remember well, the
throughput was nearly twice as fast as kermit over the same line.
Mail had no problems whatsoever, it worked great.

The only complaints I have is that it requires a lot of CPU interrupts
to do the job.  Sometimes my 'intr' scale of the perfmeter went upto
3200, way over the average of 400 or so.

If you are to run slip over 19.2kbaud, I think it's worth it.  Anyway,
it's worth it, compared to uucp!

  George Kyriazis
  kyriazis at turing.cs.rpi.edu
  kyriazis at rdrc.rpi.edu