breaking into a tek6130 - thanks

DoN Nichols nvt9001 at belvoir-emh3.army.mil
Tue Jan 9 00:38:34 AEST 1990

	Thanks to those following for suggestions in trying to get into
a tektronix 6130 running UTek (BSD4.2 + ?).
(I'm not sure at this point in time, but I believe that some of those
were from articles being quoted by one or more of those helping.)

> From: Jeff Dickson <jdickson at jpl-mil.Jpl.Nasa.Gov>
> From: Donald Becker <becker at trantor.harris-atd.com>
> From: Maarten Litmaath <maart at cs.vu.nl>
> From: Dan Bernstein <bernsten at phoenix.princeton.edu>
> From:    Will Dickson <will%robots.oxford.ac.uk at nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk>
> From:     Terry Slattery (SECAD) <tcs at BRL.MIL>
> From: Keith D Gregory <keith at fstohp.lynn.ge.com>

	I finally got in!  The sugestions were very interesting and
thought-provoking (since I keep one of my systems set up to answer a
modem - hosting a bbs dealing with traditional music, dance, etc.)
There is always something else on the system which one would want to
protect.
	As it turned out, every hole pointed out had been closed by the
system makers, or never opened (suid shell scripts for example).  Some
of them I knew about, others I didn't till now.
	The way I finally got in was to re-try the password file against
/usr/dict/words, only this time, try the one in my old COSMOS system,
which had been merged with one from another source.  It was somewhat
larger, but I didn't expect it to have too many words which weren't in
the first, especially when trimmed to the length of a valid password.
	To my great supprise and joy, it did have the word needed. It
was 'gnomes', not even mixed-case!
	The system has now joined my cluster of unix boxen at home. One
example each of the three major branches of unix. Version 7
(COSMOS-CMS16/UNX), System V (AT&T 7300 UNIX-PC), and now BSD (4.2) -
the tektronix 6130.

				Thanks to all
				Don Nichols (DoN.)
				<nvt9001 at belvoir-emh3.army.mil>