How to delete a file with ^? chars in the name?

Andrew Cunningham andyc at hpopd.HP.COM
Thu Jan 11 22:56:01 AEST 1990

Jeremy J. Epstein (jje at virtech.uucp) wrote:
>In article <130045 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, lm at snafu.Sun.COM (Larry McVoy) writes:
>> In article <7711 at unix.SRI.COM> ubi at ginger.sri.com (Ron Ueberschaer x4399) writes:
>> >I have a file which is named ^?^?^?H01.b (delete character?) and can't
>> >find a way to delete it.  An ls -s on the directory produces:

rm -i *

Then hit `n' for every file but the right one.  If you're too paranoid
to try this then use

ls -il
find . -inum <num> -exec rm -i {} \;

where <num> is the inode numbert listed with ls -i.

No C programs, no hacks, just one or two simple commands.  Why does this
discussion go on forever everytime the question is asked?