socket -> UID

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Thu Jan 18 14:28:13 AEST 1990

In article <20784 at stealth.acf.nyu.edu>, brnstnd at stealth.acf.nyu.edu writes:
> In article <1990Jan15.053647.24388 at athena.mit.edu> jik at athena.mit.edu
> (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
> >   This can't be done.  An Internet domain socket doesn't have any
UID or GID
> > information associated with it;
>
> It should. The Internet inherited that administrative flaw from the Arpanet.

  Not convinced.  The problem with assigning a UID and GID to a network
socket is
that not all machines connected to the network have a concept of UID's
and GID's.
It's quite common nowadays to see IBM PC's or Macs connected to an ethernet and
given a network address; what UID and GID should be associated with socket
connections to those machines.

  No, I would tend to agree with the decision not to associate UID and
GID with a
socket, simply because a UID's and GID's are Unix things, and the Internet is
certainly not restricted to Unix machines.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik at Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710