Works on /dev/tty*; not on /dev/slan*

Bill Jackson bj at ohsuhcx.ohsu.edu
Thu Jan 18 11:32:08 AEST 1990

I have a strange problem (aren't they all 8-).
An application program, which works fine on a direct connected terminal or a
terminal coming in over a TCP/IP lan connection, fails miserably on a StarLan
connection.  In fact it stalls completely; no output, seemingly no terminal
input - only way out is to bail out completely and come back in.

I spent some time looking at differences in the stty settings and enviroment
variables and convinced myself there was nothing fundamentaly wrong there so
I went on to try silly things and guess what?  If I start the application
program the normal way (which is using a PC terminal, TE Works/LAN terminal
emulator via StarLan to a 3B2), I get the expected result (i.e. nothing!)
If I start the application and pipe output to tee /dev/null, it works fine!

Does anbody have any ideas as to what is going on here?
--
William Jackson               University Systems & Computing, Gaines Hall #113
Oregon Health Sciences University, 3181 S.W. Sam Jackson Park Rd, Portland, OR