questions on network floating license server

Anthony A. Datri datri at convex.com
Wed Jan 31 05:29:07 AEST 1990

>I noticed that some software with network floating license agreement
>on heterogeneous computer environment.

Everyone does it differently.  Frame has an RPC listener running on
the license server; when clients want to get a license they talk RPC
with it.  I'm told that Frame actually figures out which host you have
the binary mounted from, and takes it as the license server.

I believe Sun's RPC code is freely available -- uunet probably has it.