noise posts (was re: How to delete a file with ^? chars in the name?)

Jamie Zawinski jwz at teak.berkeley.edu
Thu Jan 18 06:17:58 AEST 1990

In article <1990Jan17.051508.2531 at world.std.com> bzs at world.std.com (Barry Shein) writes:
- [ ... ]
- Although your heart's in the right place you're missing the point. I
- would bet that most people who post dumb/repetitive questions are new
- to the list so they won't see your pleas.
- [ ... ]
- Here's an evil idea:
- Let's put a hook into the mail readers which ignores all postings on
- unix-wizards which doesn't, oh I dunno, have a subject line ending
- with a period, or exactly two blank lines at the beginning, something.
- Then explain this requirement at the end of frequently asked questions...
-
- heh heh...:-)

This is from the weekly posting of alt.hackers:

- To cut down on mindless violations of the rule, the group is
- self-moderated - marked as moderated, but with no moderator's address.
- Anyone who can figure out how to approve a message is welcome to post.
- I'm not going to post the (trivial) instructions for actually doing
- it.

Just a thought.  Of course, someone would just end up putting the
instructions for doing this in a new-users file somewhere, but it might
last for a while.

		-- Jamie