Login (unique) problems with termin

valsee at qat.UUCP valsee at qat.UUCP
Wed Jan 3 02:48:00 AEST 1990

Written  9:27 pm  Dec 30, 1989 by bloom-beacon.UUCP!jik:

> >one can get around this in Bourne shell by using the eval statement and
> >command substitution, i.e. " eval `tset -s -Q....` ".  i don't know off
> >the top of my head if there is an equivalent for csh; i certainly can't
> >remember one at the moment.
>
>   Strangely enough, the command in csh would be, "eval `tset -s
> -Q...`".  The man page for csh claims that the eval command for csh is
> "as in sh(1)."

as Jonathan is the second to have pointed this out, i will mention that
evidently not all csh implementations have eval built into them.  none
of the unix/xenix variants in use at this site support eval in their
supplied csh's...  a silly thing to leave out, but there are worse.

the only thing good i can say about it is that in all cases there was
no claim that eval was supported in the respective manual pages supplied
with the systems.  additionally, the tset man page documents the "trap
output in temporary file, then execute the temp file" method of using
tset -s instead of making mention of using the eval approach.

but i've wasted more than enough of everyone's time on this...

valerie see   ...texbell!techsup!qat!valsee
	      seev at techsup.lonestar.org