Bug in grep -i ?

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Jan 5 14:31:33 AEST 1990

In article <1989Dec25.210118.7946 at phri.nyu.edu> roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) writes:
-	Is there any reason, other than a bug, why the following two
-commands (extracted from a history list) should give different output?
-   122	15:51	grep -i 'N:.*SIRIUS' yalerem.txt
-   123	15:51	grep -i 'n:.*sirius' yalerem.txt
-The second give no output, while the first prints:
- 2491  N:   SIRIUS; Canicula; Dog Star; Aschere.
-which, in case it's not obvious, is blank-padded to a length of 132.  This
-ws done on a Sun-3/50 under SunOS-3.5.2, using the standard grep supplied
-by Sun.  Sure looks like grep is ignoring the -i flag, doesn't it?

Funny that this BUG in the UNIX System V version of "grep" wasn't fixed
in SunOS 3.5.2, because I first heard about it from a Sun employee (at
the time).  It has been fixed in any recent shipment of the BRL UNIX
System V emulation for 4.3BSD, but may not have been repaired at AT&T
yet.  (They pick up my, and other, bug fixes rather erratically.)