Raw Disk access using clists???

David Anderson anderson at mips2.cr.bull.com
Fri Jul 27 22:19:37 AEST 1990

> I have run Oracle Databases with Raw disk for production systems on heavily
> loaded systems.  I must warn you that Raw disk uses the same Clist buffer
> pool as terminals, and therefore your system must be appropriately tuned
> to maintain data integrity.

> UNIX systems are not very graceful about running out of system resources,
> so you should plan for this requirement in advance.  Large blocks of data
> moving to/from the Raw disk will steal Clist buffers at a much faster rate
> than any terminal with typical flow control settings.  This means that your
> seemingly abundant buffer pool could dwindle at a fantastic rate.

>					Martin Zam
>					(201)564-2554

   Although I'm not doubting your veracity, I've never seen an os/physio.c
   (and subsequently any raw disk driver to which it passes its buffer pointer)
   that uses clists for raw disk access.  What flavor of UNIX are you running?

  Dave Anderson
  Bull HN Information Systems       anderson at mips2.cr.bull.com
  300 Concord Road.
  Billerica, MA 01821               508-294-3253