Kermit - Transferring files between two sequent machines

V. Chandrasekaran Shekar vchandra at oracle.uucp
Wed Jul 25 11:14:31 AEST 1990

I have this weird situation where I have to transfer files between two unix
machines.  Even though both machines are on network, but they belong
to two different companies. (One is obviously mine).  Both these
machines are in the internal network and not accessible for outside
world.  [So ftp is of no use..]

Whenever I need to transfer any files I download the whole file to my
PC; then I dial into the other machines and kermit it up there.  This
takes a lot of time, because, I could not change my default block size
in my communicaton program from 96 bytes. Also the modem speed is set
to 2400 baud.  A file of 500k size, takes a long time to be
transferred.

I see that there are some options on kermit like, "dial", "set modem" etc.  I
was wondering if these options can be used to transfer files directly
between these two machines instead of going through PCs.

Any help on these is greatly appreciated.  (Of course, I have a modem
connected my machine to do any dialups.  My machine is a Sequent S81).

Please send me E-mail and I will post the summary.

Thanks in advance for any help

\shekar..

V. Chandrasekaran                              Oracle Corporation
Application Systems Analyst                 vchandra at appseq.oracle.com
Vertical Application Division                  (415) 378-7540