pause() reliability problems.

Gil Tene devil at techunix.BITNET
Sun Jul 8 18:32:20 AEST 1990

Hello unix folk,

I am having some trouble with process sync. on SunOS 4.0.3...
I am using signals (have no other choise, message queues don't
give me the ability to interrupt a process), and pause() on the
"other" end to wait for signals to arrive. I am running into
a problem where pause() will sometimes continue pausing, even though
a signal occured, and it's signal handler has run... This causes
deadlocks which can only be taken care of by kill from another process.
When I kill -30 the process that pauses, it comes out of the pause and
everything is fine again, until the next deadlock...

Is this reliability problem of pause() known ? is it a problem in
SunOS, or general unix, BSD, and SysV? Any ideas on how to solve this?

AdvThanks,

Gil.