Documentation on -man macro and changing pagelength in -man

Larry Lippman larry at kitty.UUCP
Thu Jul 19 12:18:59 AEST 1990

	I have been writing manual pages in *roff using the -man macro
for years without any difficulty.  For the first time I have had the
occasion to want to change the pagelength from something other than
the default 66 lines.  This seemed like a simple enough matter, so I
figured I would try to set a command line register in the form of
-rLk as used by the -mm macros.  No joy.  So I take a look at the
macro code in /usr/lib/macros/an and it *seems* to me that .pl is
being set to the value in the L register.  I am rather rusty in reading
and comprehending *roff macro code, so I an not 100% certain of what
is happening here.  So, I figure I'll edit the man file that I am
writing and just set .pl manually.  Still no joy.

	This is getting frustrating, so I figure I try to find the
documentation on the -man macros.  Actually, I don't ever remember
seeing any, but I figure it has to be there somewhere.  Well, we
have *roff documentation from AT&T, NCR Towers, UniSoft Uniplus+,
and Intel XENIX.  So I laboriously look through it all, and can find
nothing.

	So, here are my questions which I hope some kind soul more
knowledgable than I can answer:

1.	Is there documentation on the -man macros, and if so, where
	is it?

2.	How do I set the page length using -man to something other
	than 66 lines?

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
     {boulder||decvax||rutgers||watmath}!acsu.buffalo.edu!kitty!larry
VOICE: 716/688-1231 || FAX: 716/741-9635  {utzoo||uunet}!/      \aerion!larry