DWB 5.2 troff on SPARC machines ?? Does it even work ???

Farooq Butt fmbutt at mrbt.sw.stratus.com
Mon Jul 30 05:58:44 AEST 1990

Guru(ette)s:

I just recompiled the AT&T DWB 5.2 package on my SPARC machine and it
is behaving verrrrrrrrrrry strangely.  The results I see are weird
binary control sequences in the ditroff output etc. [The ditroff
output is supposed to be ASCII].  This leads me to immediately suspect
that the (di)troff supplied with AT&T DWB 5.2 is HIGHLY
machine/wordsize/endian dependent since it works just peachily on my
6080x0 machine.  I took a look at the "tdef.h" include file and chills
started shooting up my spine as I saw a morass of code that does not
seem to have been touched since Dennis Ritchie was a boy.

Questions:

  . Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I should go about
    getting this troff to work on my SPARC ?  Deltafiles would
    we conveeeenient...  Someone must have run into this with DWB 5.2...

  . Is there a nice, easy to install public domain type package
    that will do the job ?  I am getting sick of hacking files
    with descriptive titles like "p0.c"....grrrrr...
    I would like the package to be a drop in replacement for
    the DWB (di)troff. (I say "di" because the DWB troff spews
    out ASCII, not C/A/T code).

--
Hi-Tech Disclaimer: NOTHING in the above article has any relationship
            to reality. If any reality correspondences are found,