Summary of sysVr3 socket question

Patrick J. Spinler pspinler at att1.mankato.msus.edu
Sun Jul 22 00:05:26 AEST 1990

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a question about using sockets on a
at&t 3b2/500 running sys V r 3.1.1.  I received several very excellent
replys, and would like to thank everyone who mailed answers.

Ienup Sung (iusung%cosmos.kaist.ac.kr at relay.cs.net) and Chris Dodd
(dodd at csl.sri.com) and at least one other person who's mail message I
lost (Sorry ... wince) pointed out that I was attempting to call both
bind and connect on the same socket.  This turned out to be the source
of my problems, since I was under the impression that a socket would
be duplicated at a fork.  However, one person did point out that my
example code ran correctly on his 4.3bsd system.  (Again, I lost the
mail ... I know, I know .. clean up my directory tree ..).

Also, Tom L. Baitz (dpocs2!tomb at uunet.UU.NET) sent me some excellent
example code, which helped greatly.

Thanks to all who replied, and apologies for losing several of the
very good responses, I guess you'll just have to be famous is private
:).

-- Pat

Patrick J. Spinler, KA0UBM             	    PSPinler at att1.Mankato.MSUS.EDU
Student Systems Programmer		    PSPinler at vax1.Mankato.MSUS.EDU
Mankato State University		    PSPinler at msus1.MSUS.EDU

$ emacs -f psychoanalyse-pinhead
	       "Why do you say ``leave it to beaver''?"
	     "He is the MELBA-BEING...  the ANGEL CAKE...
		     XEROX him...  XEROX him --"