login procedure on UNIX (any difference between root & user)

Derek E. Terveer det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG
Tue Jul 24 05:18:55 AEST 1990

In article <ROWE.90Jul14164731 at doc.cme.nist.gov> rowe at cme.nist.gov (Walter Rowe) writes:

> |> If I login as root, it gives me the prompt right after the
> |> /etc/motd message.  If I login as normal user, it gives me the
> |> /etc/motd message and then I have to wait one or two minutes ...
>
> Are you running quota's ?  If you are, my guess is that root doesn't
> have one and you do, and that the system is checking your quota when
> you log in.  Root would log in much faster since there is not quota to
> check.

(I don't think that this question belongs in the wizards group; followups to
comp.unix.questions)

Yes, you are probably correct.  In the /etc/profile (on System V systems, for
example) there is generally a big difference in the processing done for a root
user vs. a non-root user.
--
Derek Terveer		det at hawkmoon.MN.ORG