FINGER...

Dave Hammond daveh at marob.masa.com
Fri Jul 20 06:48:48 AEST 1990

In article <23917 at adm.BRL.MIL> STUTROUTWINE%EKU.BITNET at pucc.princeton.edu writes:

>        Curious problem.... we've a small bug with finger on our system.... it
>seems that if a users userid is 8 digits then a simple finger command (that is
>without specifying the userids... used like a "who" command) then finger cannot
>find the users....

Finger does a strncpy() from the password structure info to an 8 char
buffer, leaving no room for a terminating null -- therefore it can not
find a match when doing a lookup for the fullname info.  I fixed this in
our version by extending the name buffer and explicitly null-terminating
the entry.

Hope this helps.

--
Dave Hammond