Looking for balanced critique of Perl

Joe Wells jbw at zeb.uswest.com
Fri Jul 6 11:43:20 AEST 1990

In article <602 at inpnms.ROCKVILLE.DG.COM> logan at rockville.dg.com (James L. Logan) writes:
   In article <814 at ehviea.ine.philips.nl> leo at ehviea.UUCP (Leo de Wit) writes:
   # In article <8497 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV
   # (Larry Wall) writes:
   # |                                 [ . . . ]     People really don't know
   # |how to use computers yet.  Sigh.)
   #
   # [ . . . ]                         There really should be an option of
   # the pager to compare modulo underlining/fat printing.

   Use the public-domain pager called "less".  It can be configured
   to ignore underlining, boldfacing, etc.  In fact, I use it to
   scan the perl man pages myself.

I like to look at the man page from inside GNU Emacs (where I can use
find-tag to jump to the relevant source code with the touch of a key).  So
I use the Emacs function nuke-nroff-bs to clean up the man page.  I've
also got a version of nuke-nroff-bs that also correctly strips all types
of man page headers and footers, if anyone wants one.

On a separate issue, does anyone know where less version 123 is archived?
I have a copy I can email to people, but I'd prefer to refer people to a
convenient archive.  I looked for one a few months ago, but I couldn't
find less version 123 anywhere.

--
Joe Wells <jbw at uswest.com>