UNIX-WIZARDS Digest V10#100

Marc Milgram milgr at teapot.prime.COM
Tue Jul 31 01:17:54 AEST 1990

In article <24002 at adm.BRL.MIL>, SYKLB%NASAGISS.BITNET at cunyvm.cuny.edu (
Ken Bell) writes:
|>> From: Michael Rowan <mtr at geech.ai.mit.edu>
|>> Subject: Patents

|>> Software can be easily and cheaply copied.
|>
|>So can the books on the "bestseller" lists.  But not legally :-(

But this is covered by copyright law, not patent law.  Copyrights as applied
to books (and other written text) prevents people from copying text, but not
copying ideas.

An algorithm is an Idea.  If an algorithm is not patented, anyone can use
the algorithm (though, they he not duplicate the code from a copywritten
program).

I believe this was discussed on comp.risks a while back.

Marc Milgram           I speak for myself.
milgr at teapot.prime.com