Sun YP (errrr NIS) woes.... mail.aliases map is wedged !!!

Farooq Butt fmbutt at lectroid.sw.stratus.com
Sat Jul 21 08:52:08 AEST 1990

Greeting Guru(ettes):

I have a simple question for the YP mavens in th' audience.  Why oh why
oh why does Sun do the following with the mail.aliases map on my YP
server.  Don't the smart boys and girls in Mountain View realize that
this breaks the ypinit script on the slaves????!!!!????  (Take a
look at the ypinit script, it does an egrep for '$master$' (i.e.
EOL-master-EOL) when trying to get maps from a master).....

The evidence:

lectroid% ypwhich -m
netmasks.byaddr lectroid
netid.byname lectroid
mail.byaddr lectroid
mail.aliases lectroid.sw.stratus.com
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ why is this fully qualified ??????
netgroup.byhost lectroid
bootparams lectroid
netgroup.byuser lectroid
netgroup lectroid
protocols.byname lectroid
publickey.byname lectroid
services.byname lectroid
rpc.bynumber lectroid
networks.byaddr lectroid
networks.byname lectroid
ethers.byname lectroid
ethers.byaddr lectroid
hosts.byaddr lectroid
hosts.byname lectroid
group.bygid lectroid
group.byname lectroid
passwd.byuid lectroid
protocols.bynumber lectroid
ypservers lectroid
passwd.byname lectroid
lectroid%

questions:

  . Am I insane or is this really some weirdism that will cause slave
    YP servers to not transfer the mail.aliases map ??  (BTW my
    slaves are NOT getting the mail.aliases maps because of the
    wedgo fully qualified hostname on the mail.aliases entry)

  . What's a good workaround; at this point I cannot use any mail
    aliases if I bind to a slave YP server...??

  . What causes this sorry state of affairs?  YP should make up
    it's darn mind whether it's going to use fully qualified
    hostnames OR the results of `hostname`!!!!!

Please help!!

Bumming in YP land,

Farooq

--
Hi-Tech Disclaimer: NOTHING in the above article has any relationship
            to reality. If any reality correspondences are found,