syslog + chroot + ftpd

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Sun Jul 29 05:08:58 AEST 1990

>has anyone noticed that syslog stops logging when ftpd logs in an
>anonymous ftp user?  i have tracked the problem to the chroot system
>call. prior to chroot() syslog works as advertized. once the chroot()
>is executed inside tftpd, however, syslog calls no longer get
>recorded.

The 4.3BSD "syslog()" (as appears in SunOS 4.0, among other systems)
connects to "syslogd" using a UNIX-domain socket.  Do a "chroot()", and
that UNIX-domain socket may no longer be accessible....

I seem to remember much discussion of fixes to this problem at one
point; I no longer remember what conclusions were drawn, if any.