named configuration

Dominick Samperi dsamperi at Citicorp.COM
Sun Jul 8 02:34:05 AEST 1990

I recently tried to configure in.named and was amazed by the complexity,
given that all I want is a facility to map names to IP addresses in our
local Ethernet LAN (consisting of UNIX and VMS machines running TCP/IP).
The primary purpose of this exercise is to enable the use of names (instead
of IP addresses) in configuring (NCD) X terminals.

Seems to me that there should be a simple mode of operation for in.named,
where all it does is consult /etc/hosts, and then waits to answer
requests for name->IP address mappings.

Given that this is not possible, whould somebody please send me (or post)
a few hints on how in.named can be configured for this simple mode of
operation? I tried using the Sun documentation, but the information on
this read more like a research paper that a user's guide. THanks!

--
Dominick Samperi -- Citicorp
dsamperi at Citicorp.COM