Using the parallel port for UUCP on Xenix 386 PC's

MDELANY%hbapn1.prime.com at relay.cs.net MDELANY%hbapn1.prime.com at relay.cs.net
Tue Jul 17 00:15:26 AEST 1990

This may not exactly be Wizard material but I'm sure the solution - if
there is one - requires some Hocus Pocus :-)

The subject line wraps it up really - has anyone done this?  Obviously
even if this is possible it would be restricted to direct connect PC's as
opposed to modem connect systems.

Xenix seems to treat the parallel port in much the same way as serial
devices in a number of cases (eg: stty and the generation of printer
headings).  Is it therefore safe to assume that the driver is very
similiar to that used for the serial port?

My fear is that the input side of the parallel driver may be very much a
cut-down of the serial driver as they aren't expecting much in the way of
inbound data (apart from XON/XOFF traffic).  Certainly the H/W handles
two-way traffic, as can be witnessed by any of the various DOS based file
transfer progs.

                        Regards,
                        Mark D.