X11 Release 4 shared libraries problem

Scott Barman scott at nbc1.ge.com
Fri Jul 20 07:27:28 AEST 1990

We are installing Release 4 on a Sun 4/280 server to be used on 4/110
workstations.  All systems are running SunOS 4.1.  We are installing the
binaries, includes, and lib/X11 on a filesystem that is NFS mounted with
symlinks in the standard places pointing to where we are installing the
files (e.g. ln -s remote_file_system/lib.X11.4 /usr/lib/X11, and so on).

First we did a "make World" then "make install".  When completed and we
made the mistake of just trying to execute xinit, I then did a su and
ran "ldconfig".  Even after all that I got the error:

	xinit: can't find libXmu.so.4

The lib* files are stored under /usr/lib (no symlinks on those files)
and even made a hard link for /usr/lib/libXmu.so.4 /usr/lib/libXmu.so.4.0
just incase that could (remotely) be it.  This did not work either.

HOWEVER, if I cd to the /usr/bin/X11 directory (which puts me in
remote_file_system/bin.X11.4) and run xinit, the server will start but
nothing else will execute (same basic error, different libraries) and
has even crashed the server.  If I cd to the source directory then
mit/clients.  Everything runs just fine.

I looked at the files in config and the make.World file to see if there
was a clue.  I didn't find any.  The only thing I can think of is that
there is a bug (or some other gotcha) somewhere with the way ld handles
the loading of libraries specified by the -L option (we are running
SunOS 4.1); but I am just not sure.

If someone can point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated!
Please email the info to me and I will post a summary if enough people
request it.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe!

--
scott barman				NBC Systems Development