Data Corruption

Hibbard T. Smith JR smitty at essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM
Wed Jul 11 13:33:10 AEST 1990

I'm running ISC's 386/ix 2.0.2 on a UNISYS PW 825A (Intel 25 MHZ cache) with
an Adaptec 1542A, a Micropolis 320 MB, and a Maxtor XLT-200.  The Maxtor is
the primary drive (swap, root, and user plus a couple more file systems).  At
random intervals, data gets written over what should be inodes at he low end
of the Maxtor (drive 0).  Needless to say, this clobbers lots of files.  The
data being written in has belonged to /usr/lib/cron/log and /usr/adm/pacct.
These files are both open for the entire time the system is active.  The
clobbers take place at night or in the wee hours of the morning.  At these
times the system is mostly idle.  Even very low cron driven activity.

On other systems I'm running the XLT-200's with no problems.  I'm also using
the 1542A on other systems with no problems.  This is the only system with
this unique collection of hardware.

I don't know whether it's caused by hardware, software, or some strange
incompatibility.  I'm not even sure which company's support group to ask
questions of, so, I tried all of them.  Needless to say, they're all
pointing at "the other guy"  :-).

If anyone can shed any light on this situation, I'd sure appreciate the
help.  Email or post, I'll watch these groups closely for any comments.

Thanks in advance for any help ...

--
		Smitty