UNIX-WIZARDS Digest V10#098

Arthur W. Protin Jr. protin at pica.army.mil
Fri Jul 27 00:21:13 AEST 1990

In UNIX-WIZARDS Digest V10#098, "John F. Haugh II" <jfh at rpp386.cactus.org>
(on the subject of "Re: Hard links to directories: why not?") writes:

> My manual says the MV command renames files.  What was so hard about
> renaming /dev/barf to /usr/tmp/barf?  And before someone protests that
> moving devices around is unusual, it also doesn't work for named pipes.
> In fact, the behavior for renaming a named pipe is so far off it's quite
> disgusting.

Ah,  but doesn't your manual also say "If 'file1' and 'target' lie on
different filesystems, 'mv' may achieve the move by copying the file
and deleting the original."  I strongly suspect that on your host
'/dev' and '/usr' are on different disk partitions (filesystems).

--
Arthur Protin (protin at pica.army.mil)