Hard links to directories: why not?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Tue Jul 24 04:34:48 AEST 1990

>You're missing the entire purpose of the question - the question isn't
>what is the behavior, but rather, why isn't the behavior something else.
>That two different behaviors exist is obvious - now why hasn't anyone
>bothered to add an option to select which one you get?

And you cut off the portion of my response in which I said *why* nobody
added that option; the answer is "you can get that behavior without
adding a flag to 'ln' - either remove the target first using a command
that doesn't barf if it's not there, or check if it's there first and
remove it if it is."