dump and Exabyte Drives

Bruce Lilly bruce at sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM
Wed Jul 18 03:03:22 AEST 1990

In article <10543 at batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> rogerj at tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) writes:
>So, the tapes are SONY 120Ps and the ExaByte manual says the drive is capable
>of writing "linear recording density = 43200 bits/inch"
>
>As for feet of tape length, we have asked everyone including the mail
>order house where the tapes were bought, NO ONE seesm to know how many
>feet of tape come on a 120 tape! The actual model number of the tape is
>"P6-120MP" for "Metal Particle". If anyone knows how long these tapes
>are can they post an answer? Thanks.

Consumer 8mm NTSC video is recorded at 1.43 cm/s at standard play
speed. Therefore a 120 minute tape contains 1.43 * 1.2 * 60
meters of tape. The multiplication and units conversion are left
as an exercise for the reader...

--
    Bruce Lilly, Product Manager,        | bruce at sonyd1.Broadcast.Sony.COM
    Digital Television Tape Recording,   | uunet!{sonyusa,vmp}!sonyd1!bruce