login procedure on UNIX (any difference between root & user)

Walter Rowe rowe at cme.nist.gov
Sun Jul 15 06:47:31 AEST 1990

|> If I login as root, it gives me the prompt right after the
|> /etc/motd message.  If I login as normal user, it gives me the
|> /etc/motd message and then I have to wait one or two minutes ...

Are you running quota's ?  If you are, my guess is that root doesn't
have one and you do, and that the system is checking your quota when
you log in.  Root would log in much faster since there is not quota to
check.

wpr
---
Walter P. Rowe                                    ARPA: rowe at cme.nist.gov
System Administrator, Robot Systems Division      UUCP: ...!cme-durer!rowe
National Institute of Standards and Technology    LIVE: (301) 975-3694