Is System V.4 fork reliable?

Jim Rosenberg jr at amanue.UUCP
Wed Jul 25 21:17:05 AEST 1990

In <32 at kings.co.uk> lls at kings.co.uk (Lady Lodge Systems) writes:

>In article <561 at oglvee.UUCP> jr at oglvee.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) writes:
>>Somewhere along in the development of System V, fork became an unreliable
>>system call....

>>My question is:  Is this *FIXED* in V.4?

>Damned Good Question!

Which, alas, no one has answered.  Surely *somebody* reading this group can
look at the V.4 source and let us know.  To repeat:  do any kernel routines
called as result of a fork issue kmem_alloc() with the flag KM_NOSLEEP?  If the
answer is yes then it would seem to me V.4 will have the same problem as V.3.
--
 Jim Rosenberg                                               -- cgh!amanue!jr
     CIS: 71515,124                              UUCP:         /    /    |
     BIX: jrosenberg    Internet: cgh!amanue!jr at dsi.com